Junior BBPA Board:
We would love to engage the younger members of our village. This summer, we will continue our Junior BBPA Board and are excited for the ideas and contributions from them. The Junior Board is open to all members of the village, ages 6 – 13. Please see below to download an application.
Overflow Guest Rooms:
We are proud to offer to our members only the ability to rent two guest rooms during the summer months. It is a two night maximum and offers two queen beds and one full bathroom. This is meant for overflow guests only – please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Some BBPA Board members spent a day at the Southold facility to learn about what they do and how we can partner with them. Some of the projects that we are exploring include:
- Marine Classes at the 906 Village House
- Oyster Farming (we are looking for volunteers!)
- Eel Grass growth for our bays
Horseshoe Crab Study:
The personal benefits for all of us are obvious once you are out there: taking a walk on a moonlit night on Pike’s Beach, learning, and contributing to your community.
So team, to participate, here is what you have to do!
- Click on “Sites” (in the top line) and go to Pikes Beach. Click on Risk-Waver and Volunteer Agreement forms; print out and complete the forms and bring with you to your first count. This is important, you must arrive with the completed forms if you wish to participate !
- All start times are in the evening. Wear warm enough clothing, invest in a headlamp (you will look good!) and rubber boots are a wonderful accessory!
- Arrive at Pike’s Beach (Bay side) 1/2 hour ahead of the start time so we can get organized. Because of scientific reasons, we start the survey exactly on time.
- Please let us know well in advance, what night(s) you can make it, so we can plan accordingly.
This project is GREAT for kids between 5 – 20. They will find it FUN, it’s very interactive and they will learn about one of the oldest creatures on our planet. They get to wear head lights, drill in the side of a horseshoe crab, tag the horseshoe crab (see tag) and measure them – They will be having so much fun they will not even know how much they are learning.
Take a look at the below website and flyers to see how horseshoe crabs are a benefits to medicine, they have blue blood and do so much for medical research and cancer research. These crabs’ eggs help to feed the red knot birds. Plus there are so many other interesting facts.
To sign-up, click here: http://www.nyhorseshoecrab.org
If you go to the above website you can learn how to download a free app on horseshoe crabs so you can report finding immediately.
Partnership with Quogue Wildlife Refuge:
The BBPA is proud to join forces with the Quogue Wildlife Refuge.
To learn more about Quogue Wildlife Refuge, visit their website here: www.QuogueWildlifeRefuge.org
Partnership with Westhampton Beach Free Library:
The BBPA is proud to partner with the Westhampton Free Library. We will be holding yoga classes on the beach (weather permitting) throughout the summer. They will be held on Sunday mornings – check our events calendar for the dates and times. There will be a small charge for our members to participate.